Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Packing and Sewing

We move on Saturday and I have been trying very hard to sneak in a little time for sewing in amongst all the time spent packing (oh, and let’s not forget caring for 2x 23mth olds – sheesh!). I have managed to knock a few things over. First cab off the rank was a soft case for the lovely new little netbook that I got for my birthday from my husband. I picked up this lovely Japanese damask in the remnants bin at Spotlight for about 80 cents or something. Add some soft flannel for the inside and a bit of fusible fleece and your away.


mine


I was on a bit of a role so decided to make one for my sister as well. I used some left over Delilah fabric from the bag I made and the same flannel for the inside. I made them both complete with internal pocket ready to store a USB mouse.


netbook caseAnna's inside


Then this morning I quickly made up this for a friend’s little girl who just had her first birthday. I have no idea what the fabric up the top is but it’s quite soft and thick and perfect for winter. It’s also more red in real life than this. Looks kinda burgundy in the picture. I’d say it’s closer to a perfectly ripened tomato colour. I followed this tutorial. I hope it fits her. Length wise should be fine, it’s more the elastic waist I am concerned about.


skirt


I have also cut out 2x jumpsuits with some gorgeous velveteen that a friend gave me and a vintage size 3 pattern that I bought second hand. Now that I have cut it out and started sewing it together I have discovered that it is too short in the body. It only gives an overall length, which is spot on and I took it for granted that the body length would be more than long enough given it’s a size 3 and they are only in size 2 (not yet being 2 ‘n all). Well, I was wrong and by not measuring properly I am now in a bit of a quandry. I may just be able to piece a diamond shaped bit of fabric into the crotch to give it extra length or I may need to cut it and insert a waist band. First I will try the diamond. It’ll be much quicker and easier and won’t require me unpicking everything I have done (zip is in already). Also, I joined a group on the Essential Baby web forums where we all agreed to have a fabric buying amnesty in April so if I have to go with the second option I won’t be able to finish them until May (I am hopeful that despite the fact that I am about to pack my sewing machine into a box ready for moving right after I finish typing this, I WILL get back to it next week). So, I’ll cut a diamond shape, baste it in, and check it out. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Easier, cheaper, and quicker!


And I’ve traced a pattern for a bibbed dress and some overalls that I want to sew up in some cute cord for the girls for winter. I’m (possibly delusionally) day-dreaming that I may get at least a start on that next week too. In between unpacking and preparing to go away for the Easter/ANZAC Day long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment