Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hats Hats Hats

With the Christmas dresses out of the way, it was time to move onto sun hats. So this weekend was sun hat weekend. I am making the girls 2 each and as they are reversible I get to use 8 fabrics for that. Yay for getting to play with some more of my stash of pretty fabrics.
I decided to do it semi-production line so first thing was to cut out the fabric and the interfacing for the hats. Here it is. I've laid the fabrics out with their buddies so you can see what each hat will be made up of.



I then decide to scale back the production line a little and just work on 2 hats at a time, so here they are with interfacings attached.

Next step was sewing crowns and bands together.


Then it was onto the brims. Once done I had a pile of crowns and brims ready for assemblage.
Here they are fully pined and ready for the last couple of steps.

I attempted to have the girls model them once they were done but they were just too busy trashing my house like 2 little whirlwinds and the hats were quickly discarded on the floor in amongst the rest of their trail of destruction before I even had a chance to get the camera out.
Finally I distracted them with some food and both a) kept their hats on long enough and b) stood still long enough for me to get a picture.



And just in case you are wondering, here's side A and the flipside of my hat all finished and on my head.



I still have another 2 hats to complete but I think that's gonna have to wait until after Christmas. Oh, and I finished the other pillowcase dress. It just needs it's ribbon threaded. I'll have to do that and get some photos up.
On a completely different note, my fabric from Two Little Fairies never arrived. It was posted 2nd Dec and only had to get from Melbourne to Sydney then onto my place. Usually that takes 1-2 business days. Somtimes my mail goes a little crazy and gets sent to somewhere in Western Australia that has the same suburb name as me (yes, the postal workers, I assume, cross out my state and postcode and write in the WA one over the top then when it gets there and my street name doesn't exist in that suburb someone writes back in the correct details again and it eventually gets to me. I don't know how long this generally takes as the first I know if it is when I pick up a letter from the letterbox with all this stuff scrawled across it. Perhaps this has happened to my package and it will eventually find me. I hope so but for each day that goes by I am losing hope. I am very sad.

1 comment:

  1. i woudn't mind a hat like this! can i place my order?
    xx MT

    ReplyDelete